Monday, 3 January 2011

The Beginning

The cutbacks, two years of wage freezes, increase in food and fuel cost plus VAT now hitting 20% is pushing our ability to provide for the family to the very brink. In order to survive we are starting to make significant changes to how we live, work, cook and clothe ourselves. This the start of our journey and this blog will document our failures and successes.
A bit about us, we are a family of four living in a rented house in a market town in Suffolk. I work full time 37 hours a week and in addition occasional evenings and weekends. I earn the national average wage and travel 26 miles to work, which is very common for this area. My partner and I have started a new business in the town which although in its infancy is starting to sustain itself. My partner works 48 hours a week running the business. We have two teenage children both in full time education.


First Steps


Electricity
We have just purchased plug in gadgets that turn off anything left on standby overnight. These cost £3.99 each and we are hoping that it will turn off the items that the children always forget, PC's, televisions and DVD. I was rather pleased with the purchase until I realised that it was a Kypton Factor mental exercise to set the timers. After a tussle the gadgets have now been installed. I await to see whether I have set the timer at all and if they will help save electricity.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment